We were contacted by a homeowner located in Pittsburgh, PA for various home issues. Their first concern were odors in the home but she also noticed excessive humidity and had energy loss concerns. The crawl space under the house was insulated with the old type fiberglass insulation that through the years had absorbed water and moisture and and was trapped with a plastic covering. Over time the insulation began to mold and create odors that eventually would permeate the house. 50% of the air in your home comes from the ground underneath. We began with removing the existing contaminated insulation and started the clean space encapsulation process. The process begins with spray foam insulating the rim joists of the house with a closed cell polyurethane. We then installed the SmartDrain Plumbing Leak System in the ground which sets off the alarm if and when there is a plumbing emergency. The side walls of the crawl space are insulated with a 2" SilverGlo along with Terrablock insulation on the ground then covered with the drainage matting. Our final step is the CleanSpace white liner to cover the insulation that has been installed. We then moved into the basement of the home where we spray foamed the rim joists between the basement ceiling and the first floor to eliminate the infiltration of cold air and reduce heat loss. To keep humidity low and eliminate future moisture issues we installed a SaniDry basement dehumidifier system.
The second part of our customer's concerns were energy loss through the attic. Again we started with removing existing insulation then closing off all accessible penetration areas and top plates with expanding polyurethane foam to eliminate air loss. We then installed a layer of 4" SilverGlo insulation along attic deck and covered with a 3/8" board to provide insulated storage platform which is then covered by our blown in TruSoft cellulose insulation. Lastly we installed the David Lewis Hatch Cover over the pull down attic steps which stops air leakage, it is lightweight and easy to move aside.
Ruth now has a more comfortable, energy efficient home and has eliminated the odor issues she was experiencing.